8.02.2017

Hullo, August







































































Even though I hate to see summer speed by, I'm still a bit relieved that July is over.  The entire month bustled.  There were back-to-back vacations that sent half of us to the lake and all of us to Long Island, broken-down vehicles and a finicky boiler, doctor's visits and sick babies and sleepless nights, a giant birthday celebration for Annika (pictures to come later), the county fair, and fireworks.  As if that weren't enough, July then heaped up regular chores, weeding, swimming, and smaller adventures to spill over the edges and pool onto the floor.

Whew.  And now August.  We're beginning to enjoy a few garden fruits-- peppers, beans, summer squashes, sugar peas, and enough lettuce for all of Watership Down.  We dried a ton of wild mint and harvested the garlic, and we fried up eggplant from other growers while waiting for the rest of the garden to ripen, which, in these days of plentiful sun and rain, will happen in a blink.  Rich purple echinacea and sunny yellow lilies fill the vases, and all the reds, pinks, and creams have come into their own, turning everything heady with color.

Today we began a bit of h'learning to tie up some loose ends from last year.  Plus, with Little LaBolt arriving at the tail end of harvest, right before we usually begin to h'learn, every little bit will help (I proclaim hopefully). Today I'm even calling the doctor to set up a prenatal appointment!  As John said yesterday, "You'll get less of a lecture now at 32 weeks than you will if you arrive at the hospital without any doctor in place."  I'm glad to have this wise man.  The next couple of weeks look relatively quiet, a brief lull before we welcome back the bustle with arms flung wide.

3 comments :

Molly said...

I do love the slower pace of summer - at least for me - with less traffic on the road. The days just seem simpler...and hotter, here. We've had triple digit heat lately. The rains came today and we're just so grateful. Will be back to 100 in a few days.

I learned a saying from an elderly rancher who said, "Never cuss the rain or a tree." Those are wise words, indeed.

Much love!

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad that things are slowing down for you now. The last couple of months for you were INSANE. I really, honestly do NOT know how you did it. You can rationalize naps and things going weedy and things being pushed aside-but those are all givens. I mean, I don't know how you DID it. I was exhausted just thinking about you and your summer schedule!

Glad to hear you are headed for a prenatal appt. Can't wait to hear about it. I am sure it will elicit quite a tale. Of one thing I am certain- it will feel very good to finally have proof of pregnancy. ;-)

Abigail said...

Molly,
That's our winter...only for different reasons! I can't imagine it being that hot, and I know I wouldn't handle it well. I'd be one of those lame folks tucked inside their house for three straight months, sitting like a lump in front of the air conditioner! :) I love that saying, too. Seems it could be applied to a lot of things!

Rebecca,
I think the summer just carried me along, and now that the current has slowed, I sit here like a lump again. :)

As for pregnancy, my large girth is proof enough, right? They had a couple of pretty great comments, but no lecture! This is my third time seeing this particular doctor/nurse combination, and they were mostly just amused. (Still have to get a drug test, though. Blecch.)